Banana bread is a firm favourite in our family, as a child growing up there was seemingly always a banana bread on the counter, if my brother hadn’t eaten it all! These days banana bread takes me back to my childhood. Over the years I have fiddled with the recipe to make it healthier by removing the dairy and refined sugar until I got to the point where I was happy with it. In honour of my childhood there is nearly always a banana bread in the kitchen though these days I have to fight my daughter and husband for a slice!
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 table spoon raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda – Do not used baking powder.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Optional Mix ins:
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecan nuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease a loaf tin
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk, add eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. If you find your coconut oil solidifying with the cold ingredients put the bowl somewhere warm for a few mins.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and whisk everything together. Switch to a spoon and stir in the flour dont worry about sifting it and it’s not a problem if there are a few lumps in the mix. If you adding any nuts now’s the time.
- Pour batter into the tin and decorate with a few nuts and banana slices. Bake it in the oven for 55 mins or until you can pull a wooden skewer out clean.
- Let is cool in the tin for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack.