- 3 rashers of bacon cut into thin batons
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g kale, hard stems discarded, and leaves shredded into ribbons 5mm wide
- 40g parmesan shaved
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 marinated anchovies fillets in oil, drained
- 175 ml of olive oil
- Grated zest and juice of one lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 hard boiled eggs or cooked for grilled chicken optional.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- Put the bacon and chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the bacon is very crisp and the chickpeas have developed a brittle crust.
- To make the dressing combine the egg yolk mustard garlic clove, capers and anchovy into a blender and blend into a smooth. slowly drip in the oil drop by drop to make the dressing then drizzle in the lemon juice and whiz for a few seconds to combine season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the kale with lemon zest, and the dressing. Top with the crispy bacon, chickpeas and the parmesan shavings.
- If you fancy a little more protein. Grate or break the hard-boiled eggs over the top of the salad or mix through some shredded cooked chicken.